Sunday, April 19, 2009

Avignon Across the Bridge

Unless otherwise noted, all materials on this blog are (c) 2009 by Madeleine Vedel

I now bicycle into Avignon. The good weather (plus potential scratches on the car, nightmarish parking, etc.,) has encouraged this new tact. I used to adore biking, and lived on my bike in Seattle. It's been awhile though, so I'm still getting back into it. I also need to invest in a very secure bike lock.



My ride takes me along the Rhône, by the small ferry which does regular service back and forth now that the 1st of April has come and passed. I see the visitors on the Pont d'Avignon, the gold-leafed Madonna atop the Pope's palace, the ramparts in all their splendor, and high above, the gardens of the Pope.



Meantime, down at river level dogs are being walked, many joggers are out, and school kids are enjoying picnics. In fewer than 15 minutes, I'm over the bridge, and entering the city.

No comments: