Friday, March 20, 2009

Spice Squash Cake for a Friend

Unless otherwise noted, all materials on this blog are (c) 2009 by Madeleine Vedel




From my cozy spot by my cast iron stove, Filou at my feet on his cushion, my kids with their father, I wanted to share Tonight's Spice Squash Cake (a variation of my favorite muffin recipe).

3 cups flour (350 g)-- all purpose, whole wheat, spelt or rice, as you prefer
1 cup rapadura brown sugar (200 g)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon cardamon
1/4 teaspoon fresh ground nutmeg
1 cup (250ml) turned fresh milk, or 1 cup whey, or 1 yogurt plus 1 cup water
1 1/2 cups (325ml) cooked squash puree
1/3 cup (80ml) sunflower oil
2 eggs

a good handful each of raisins, pumpkin/squash seeds and pecans




I confess to simply putting all these ingredients into a mixing bowl, and with a sturdy spatula or wooden spoon, stirring till everything seemed smooth. I then poured the batter into a simply cake pan (two in fact, as this makes two loaf pans) and baked it at 175C/350F till nicely risen and browned on top -- about 30 minutes in my convection oven.

With a cup of herbal tea, it does cure what ails.

No comments: